August 28, 2011

Snapshot: Dublin & Skerries, Ireland


{Where} I went: Dublin & Skerries, Ireland

{Who} I went with: Kait {College Friend & Study Abroad Mate} & Claire {High School Friend}


{Where} I stayed:
-Jacobs Inn near Connolly Station in Dublin, $72 Euro Private Quad/Night {includes small breakfast}: Clean & modern but forgettable. It was close to all the transit stations but a far walk from the sights and LOUD at night with drunk students coming in & a train just outside. I would recommend staying closer to Temple Bar to be in the action.
-The White Cottages in Skerries, $40 Euro per Person/Night {includes full Breakfast}: AMAZING in every way. Beautifully decorated cottage on the water walking distance from the town. Incredibly friendly & hospitable owners who will give you directions, an umbrella, or whatever you need. We stayed in the Triple Crows Nest upstairs.
-The Generator in Smithfield Square Dublin, $75 Euro Private Triple/Night: Brand new & very modern decor {cool!} in a quiet part of Dublin. A block away from the LUAS Red Line, next to the Jameson Distillery, & a short walk to the Guiness Storehouse. The rooms aren't too big but are not small either. Each bed has two outlets & a reading light {BIG plus} and the bathrooms were glistening. Staff is extremely friendly {especially Lukas} and request Bryan as a taxi driver {drives Tiger Woods old Mercedes Bus!}

{Where} I ate:
-Cafe en Seine near St.Stephens Green: Cute old-world cafe lined with gold walls. Ate scrumptious Tomato Red Pepper soup & a "Full Fat" mocha {nope, no Starbucks skinny lattes here & yes, they refer to whole milk bluntly}. Under $12 Euro for lunch.
-Stoop Your Head in Skerries Harbor: Great spot for any meal. Right on the harbor, very popular so expect a wait! I split garlic bread & foccacia for lunch, spending under $10 Euro. Both were excellent!
-Joe Mays in Skerries Harbor: We waited for our table at SYH here as they have the same owners. Enjoyed a GREAT latte, made to perfection. Around $3 Euros.
-Blue Bar in Skerries Harbor: Yummy {but expensive} drinks & a diverse menu. I wasn't too hungry so I ordered the baked mushrooms appetizer stuffed with shrimp & garlic which was absolutely excellent!

{Sights} I saw:
*Bolded I'd recommend
Dublin...
-St. Stephens Green {via Hop on Hop off, 12 Euro for students for 2 days}
-Christchurch Cathedral, 3 Euro for students {via Hop on Hop off}
-Trinity College {via Hop on Hop off}
-Guiness Storehouse, 10 Euro for students
-Literary Pub Crawl, 11 Euro with Rick Steves or 10 Euro with student ID

{Details} I loved:

-Georgian Crown Molding surrounding Brightly Colored Doors. Gorgeous architecture that is warm & inviting.
-"Full Fat" Milk. No, I'm not actually embracing whole milk here but I love the varied expressions & accents. When I ordered a latte at the cafe yesterday and asked for non-fat milk I thought the waiter was making fun of my American ways when he said they only had "full fat" milk. You can bet we roared with laughter when we realized he was serious.
-How pleasant the people are. Not one person I stopped to ask the typical American tourist question has disregarded me or seemed put off, instead asking me where I was traveling to & wishing me a merry way!
-The Transit System. Cheap & easy to navigate-got to love that!

For more questions on my Dublin & Skerries Trip, email CiaoDownBella@gmail.com at any time!

No comments: