October 16, 2011

Cioccolato Crazed

"What you see before you, my friend, is the result of a lifetime of chocolate."
-Katherine Hepburn


For those of you who know me well, you know that I'm a chocoholic {who am I kidding, everyone knows this}. I come from a long line of chocoholics who are not afraid to indulge in their addiction. So this weekend, I did!


Each year thousands from around the world gather for the annual Eurochocolate festival in Perugia, a town Southeast of Florence most recently known for being the home of Amanda Knox.  A quick train ride {21.50 Euro round-trip} and bus {3 Euro round-trip} up the hill drops you at a cavern where hoards of chocolate enthusiasts alike meander their way up into the open air festival.


I prepared myself for the cold and crowds {both would be overwhelming if I didn't} so I truly enjoyed slowly making my way through the streets filled with tents upon tents with anything and everything chocolate. I can't say anything I saw surprised me {no chocolate covered bacon like the American summer fairs} but my mouth watered over almost everything. I did think the chocolate Kebabs called for the most creative concoction...


I started with a chocolate dipped banana {2.50 Euro, thankfully not frozen}, which turned out to be my favorite item of the day {not my favorite picture though, windblown didn't suit me well}!


Soon after came chocolate dipped oranges which reminded me of Christmas at home {2 Euro}...


...followed by a {free} sample of the mini Baci, the newest creation of Perugia's own, Baccio chocolate factory.

Then it was time for a lunch break at a back street Pizzeria {La Pasteria}, which we had quickly made reservations for after talking with the friendly owner! I split the "Perugia" pizza with Kait. The Margherita pizza topped with their signature sausage turned out to be delicious! Thanks to the generous owner, the meal was one of the cheapest {5.50 Euro}!


I spent the last hour making my way to the other end of the festival but felt like I had seen it all so I made my final purchases for the day, a nut & chocolate covered candy apple {2 Euro} and a little over 200 grams of different kind of chocolates {9 Euro}! The beautiful sights of Perugia & great friends weren't a bad way to end the day either...


Amazingly, chocolate actually made it off the train with me so I will be able to savor my day at the festival while studying for midterms this week!

Transportation: 25 Euro
Culinary Delights: 22 Euro
Day full of Chocolate: Priceless

Thanks "M" of A Room with a View for helping me fill in some of the photographic holes!

No comments: